Virginia Career Works provides three levels of service: Career Services Basic, Career Services Individualized and Training Services. Virginia Career Works services are funded through the US Department of Labor at no cost to the job seeker.
CAREER SERVICES BASIC
Basic assistance and self-directed services available to all job seekers.
- Work Skills exploration
- Access to computers, internet telephones, fax and copy machines
- Searches for jobs and training
- Access to job banks and other listings of available jobs
- Referral to employers with current job openings
- Résumé development assistance
- Job search training
- Networking skills workshops
- Interview techniques workshops
- Eligibility determination for additional services
CAREER SERVICES (INDIVIDUALIZED)
One-on-one and small group assistance provided by a Virginia Career Works Career Planner. Visit your nearest Virginia Career Works Center to determine eligibility for these services.
- Comprehensive assessments of skills and service needs
- Development of an individual employment and career plan
- Intensive career counseling
- In-depth interviewing skills development
- Computer workshops
- One-one-one assistance with résumés, cover letters and thank you letters
- Ongoing follow-up and assistance
- Occupational skills training
Intensive services clients may be eligible to receive funding for occupational skills training from a Virginia Career Works approved training provider or an employer while on-the-job.
- On-the job training
- Job readiness training
- Adult education (GED) and literacy
- Customized training for an employer who commits to hiring clients
VEC JOB SEEKER SERVICES ASSISTANCE
The Virginia Employment Commission is pleased to offer job seekers the opportunity to schedule an appointment to speak directly with a representative from the Virginia Employment Commission regarding employment services. We can provide resume assistance, interview preparation, job leads, referrals, labor market information and any other employment service support.
Appointments will be conducted by phone, video conference or in person. You will be contacted by a representative to confirm your date, time and appointment type in advance.
Virginia Career Works-Hampton Center.
600 Butler Farm Road, Room 1015
Hampton, VA 23666
861 Glenrock Road, Suite 100
Norfolk, VA 23502
157 North Main Street,
Suffolk, VA 23434
100 North College Drive,
Franklin, VA 23851
4824 George Washington Highway
Portsmouth, VA 23702
Phone: Temporarily - 757-558-4455
4601 Opportunity Way, Room 118
Williamsburg, VA 23188
Phone: Temporarily - 757-920-5344